Re: Ada files now checked in

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Joe Buck wrote:

> > This warning is not on by default, it's only triggered by
> > -Wuninitialized.  I expect more false positives for the 'maybe
> > used uninitialized'  message.  Mostly because we are emitting the
> > warning before any optimizations are performed.
>
> Ouch.  You mean, even before constant folding and elimination of a
> not-taken branch of an "if"?  That would greatly increase the number of
> false positives over what we have now.

Right now, yes.  Over time we will start moving this warning down
the transformation chain.  There is work in progress to add
constant propagation that should run before this.

Of course, if you move this down too much you will go back to the
problem of only supporting -Wuninitialized only if -O is used.

Or maybe we could allow cleanup passes to run whenever
-Wuninitialized is used.  It's only a matter of deciding when to
run it, really.  The basic analysis won't change.

Diego.