Re: Best way to remove cpp0

Stan Shebs wrote:-

> How much overhead would it be to buffer all the way to the end of
> a file, and write out before proceeding to compilation proper?

Loadsaoverhead 8-) I really don't think we want to go down that route;
I think the current scheme is no worse.

> When a segfault occurs, things are going to be pretty scrambled,
> you'll want your tokens safe on disk.

Right; instead I think a possible way is something along the lines
Joseph mentions, so that if the binary returns an exit code indicating
ICE (how do we do that?), then it re-invokes with -E to just generate
preprocessed output, and then tries to compile that with
-fpreprocessed.

Though I don't really want to implement the driver bits, it sounds
quite nasty.  Maybe Joseph could chip in there :-)

Alternatively, maybe cc1 can intercept all ICEs and segfaults, and try
to restart doing preprocessing only.  This might not be realistic,
though.

Neil.