asm, 'r' constraint, floating point registers?

I've been talking off list with a user about his asm() problems and
discovered something odd.

If you write

  int n;
  asm ("frob %0" : "+r" (n));

one would generally expect n not to be put into a floating point
register.  The user insists this is what happens.  Is this
(a) a bug in his port, (b) a bug in the machine-independent code, or
(c) expected behavior which must be avoided somehow?  I must confess I
don't know where to begin looking.

zw