Re: compiling linux kernels with GCC 3.0

Paolo writes:

> Is it true that there is no real evidence of performance improvements on
> x86?

No.  There is real evidence of small performance improvements for C.

> If so, *why* in your (authoritative) opinion?

Rather, why isn't there evidence of more improvement?  Because 3.0 was
a feature release for the most part; other goals took precedence.
However, 3.1 is intended to be a performance improvement; if the release
candidate is not a performance improvement over 3.0.x I will not give my
vote authorizing a release (and 3/4 of the SC have to give the goahead
for a release).  We'd be better off in that case telling people to keep
using the older releases for longer.

(That doesn't guarantee that all codes will run better or compile faster,
just that on average 3.1 needs to be better).