Re: compiling linux kernels with GCC 3.0

> Is it true that there is no real evidence of performance improvements on
> x86? If so, *why* in your (authoritative) opinion?

I am not an expert on these issues.  I am the Release Manager, not the
all-knowing mastermind of GCC. :-)

I have heard reports of improvements, I have heard reports of
pessimizations.  I do not have authoritative information one way or
the other.

We have to make tradeoffs between features and optimizations.

GCC 3.0 was primarily a feature release; I hope that 3.1 will focus
more on optimizations.