Re: compiling linux kernels with GCC 3.0

--On Wednesday, October 10, 2001 09:25:18 AM -0700 Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:

> In article <p04330101b7e9f054094c@[192.168.1.254]> you write:
>> Like one of our former presidents, I've been "out of the loop" on this.
>>
>> Is it still the case that standard 3.0.x compilers are unable to compile
>> current linux kernels due to mismatched expectations on optimizations?
>
> gcc-3.0.x is supposed to work fine. It's not the recommended compiler
> for "regular users", but that's not due to known problems, but simply
> due to lack of history with it.

By the way, I support this mode of thinking.  Ideally, our releases of
GCC would be perfect, but we know they are not -- a "go slow" approach
of updating to new compilers is nothing more than prudent.  (I do the
same with the new kernel versions. :-))

I'm definitely pleased to know that the 3.0 series works with the
Linux kernel.