compiling linux kernels with GCC 3.0

Like one of our former presidents, I've been "out of the loop" on this.

Is it still the case that standard 3.0.x compilers are unable to compile current linux
kernels due to mismatched expectations on optimizations?

[Was that worded carefully enough to avoid political repercussions :-)]

-- Al Lehotsky

		    Quality Software Management
		http://home.earthlink.net/~qsmgmt
			apl@alum.mit.edu
			(978)287-0435 Voice
			(978)808-6836 Cell
			(978)287-0436 Fax

	Software Process Improvement and Management Consulting
	     Language Design and Compiler Implementation