Re: Manual style: "non-zero" vs "nonzero"

Brad Lucier <lucier@math.purdue.edu> writes:

> To weigh in again in this debate, the Society of Industrial and
> Applied Mathematics recommends that "non" as a prefix
> not be hyphenated, that "semi" be hyphenated, and that "quasi"
> be a separate word.

What a strange rule!  I haven't read much literature on semigroups, so
I don't know if it is customary to put a hyphen in it, "semi-group"
looks indeed rather strange.  I've never seen "semi-simple" and "quasi
projective".

Perhaps SIAM made these rules only to annoy algebraists? ;-)