Re: Manual style: "non-zero" vs "nonzero"

> > In the GCC manuals, which of the spellings "nonzero" and "non-zero" should
> > be used?  At present both are.
>
> Mathematics journals definitely prefer "nonzero" (no hyphen).

To weigh in again in this debate, the Society of Industrial and
Applied Mathematics recommends that "non" as a prefix
not be hyphenated, that "semi" be hyphenated, and that "quasi"
be a separate word.  However, in a paper where I used
both "quasi norm" and "semi-norm" I insisted that both be
written with hyphens, as semi-norm and quasi-norm, and the
copy editor acquiesced.

This Chicago Manual of Style, 14th edition, recommends that the
following prefixes be used closed (unhyphenated):
non, ante, anti, bi, bio, co, counter, extra,
infra, inter, intra, macro, meta, micro, mid, mini, multi, neo,
non, over, post, pre, pro, proto, pseudo, re, semi, socio,
sub, super, supra, trans, ultra, un, under
(Table 6.1, page 230).  The exceptions
are capitalized works (anti-Semitic), numerals (pre-1914),
English homonyms (un-ionized, not unionized), more than
one word (non-English-speaking [using a hyphen, since
English-speaking is hyphenated], pre-Civil War [using an
en-dash, since Civil War is open]), prefix standing alone
(macro- and microeconomics), repeated vowels
(anti-inflammatory), misleading or puzzling forms
(anti-utopian).

Brad