Re: Manual style: "non-zero" vs "nonzero"

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 08:50:40PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> In the GCC manuals, which of the spellings "nonzero" and "non-zero" should
> >> be used?  At present both are.
>
> > Mathematics journals definitely prefer "nonzero" (no hyphen).
>
> The 1989 OED prefers non-zero (as in it has an entry for that and has no
> entry for nonzero), but it may be out of date.  Nonzero without a hyphen
> does appear in the current Merriam-Webster.

Funny you should mention that; there's currently a thread in comp.std.c++
which had a brief side discussion over whether Merriam-Webster was an
appropriate dictionary in technical arenas.  :-)

My only thought is that non-zero might be easier to parse for people who
are not as familiar with English.[*]

Phil
[*] ...such as the editors of the OED, har har har- just kidding!