"register" specifiers of any value?

While studying dwarf2out.c, I note that many locals are specified
as "register", most likely a pointless thing these days.  At best
they might speed up a GCC built with somebody else's compiler, but
that doesn't seem very valuable, and we could get rid of some
clutter by whacking them.  Looks like there are several thousand,
mostly concentrated in older files - can anybody come up with a
reason for keeping them?

Stan