Re: The bloat sweepstakes...

by the way, in our experience with GNAT, it is the backend that is the
huge consumer of (real) memory, the front end almost always has smaller
memory requirements by a significant factor. In fact we started out with
an aggressive viewpoint of saving memory, and minimizing nodes (see the
irregulatiries of the handling of string literals for example). Only
to discover that front end memory use was pretty much irrelevant. At
the same time I agree that buffer may as well be a bit smaller, why not.