This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: The bloat sweepstakes...
- To: dewar at gnat dot com, zack at codesourcery dot com
- Subject: Re: The bloat sweepstakes...
- From: dewar at gnat dot com
- Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:07:03 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, guerby at acm dot org
by the way, in our experience with GNAT, it is the backend that is the
huge consumer of (real) memory, the front end almost always has smaller
memory requirements by a significant factor. In fact we started out with
an aggressive viewpoint of saving memory, and minimizing nodes (see the
irregulatiries of the handling of string literals for example). Only
to discover that front end memory use was pretty much irrelevant. At
the same time I agree that buffer may as well be a bit smaller, why not.