Re: new __builtin_choose_type (patch) (new builtin_equal_types patch)

On 7 Oct 2001, Aldy Hernandez wrote:

> > * An implementation for C++ is also needed.
>
> will wait for new front end like suggested.  [when's that?]

I don't know whether it's currently on schedule for 3.1, or not.  The new
C++ parser will also help implement RTH's suggestion for C (that errors in
the unused half of __builtin_choose_expr be ignored) through its
diagnostic machinery.

> as a side note... i'm not a big fan of these big huge builtin names.
> it'll make tgmath.h horrendous to write (specially when combining
> __builtin_types_compatible_p and __builtin_choose_expr in one line).

Naturally <tgmath.h> would have appropriate macros:

* one, given a real type, to compute the tgmath type (i.e., to convert
integer types to real types);

* one, given a real or complex type, to compute the tgmath type;

* one, given two types, to compute the tgmath type associated with the
pair (i.e., the type of the sum of values whose types are the tgmath types
of the individual types - (int, float) maps to double);

* one, given a real type and three expressions (calls to float, double,
long double functions) to choose the appropriate one;

* one, given a real or complex type and six expressions, to choose the
appropriate one;

* versions of the existing __TGMATH_* macros that use the previous macros
rather than using sizeof and __builtin_classify_type;

* optionally, to simplify these, you could define __type_float_p and
similar macros to abstract out __builtin_types_compatible_p.

The aim is to create something that is comprehensible and maintainable and
uses well-defined well-documented interfaces rather than the arcana of the
rules for types of conditional expressions, __builtin_classify_type and
statement expressions.

> + @deftypefn {Built-in Function} int __builtin_types_compatible_p (@var{type1},
> + @var{type2})
> +
> + You can use the builtin function @code{__builtin_types_compatible_p} to

"built-in" not "builtin".  See the style notes in gcc.texi.

> + determine whether two types are the same.  This builtin ignores top

"built-in function" not "builtin".

"e.g., @code{const}, @code{static}".

> + builtin returns the integer constant 1.  Otherwise, 0 is returned.

"built-in function".

It should test compatibility, not "same"ness.  (For example, "int []" is
compatible with "int [10]".)  The types for which this makes a difference
probably aren't that useful with this builtin in practice, but there may
well be a use for e.g. handling enums like the integer type they are
compatible with.  Type compatibility is a better-defined concept since the
standard doesn't have to deal with "same"ness.

> + You can use the builtin function @code{__builtin_choose_expr} to

"built-in".

> + evaluate code depending on the value of a constant expression.  This

It must be an *integer* constant expression.

> + builtin returns exp1 if the constant expression const_exp is non zero.

@var{exp1}.  @var{const_exp}.  The spelling "non zero" doesn't seem to be
used in the manual, but both "nonzero" and "non-zero" are widely used.
(Which should be preferred?)

> + Otherwise it returns 0.

No, it returns exp2.

@var{exp1}

@var{exp2}

> +   if (__builtin_types_compatible_p (typeof (i), typeof (d)))
> +     exit (1);

You should test that this is an integer constant expression.  For example,
use __builtin_types_compatible_p in static initializers.

> +   if (__builtin_choose_expr (45, 0, 22))
> +     exit (1);
> +   if (__builtin_choose_expr (0, 12, 0))
> +     exit (1);
> +   if (!__builtin_choose_expr (45, 3, 0))
> +     exit (1);

You need tests where the arguments are of different types, not necessarily
compatible.  Also test the type of the result.  Look at
gcc.dg/c99-condexpr-1.c for an example of how to test types of expressions
(this may mean using gcc.dg for this testcase).

> + 	  $$ = e1 == e2 ? build_int_2 (1, 0) : build_int_2 (0, 0);

Use comptypes, rather than comparing type pointers.  Use the existing
integer_zero_node and integer_one_node.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk