Re: Using Unicode quotes (was: Re: Ada files now checked in)

<<The only problem cases would be with message catalogs on systems without
transliteration support in iconv (sufficiently recent GNU libc or GNU
libiconv).  We can always provide pre-transliterated catalogs for the
(locale, charset) pairs we want to support.  Note that at present message
catalogs in GCC do little enough useful anyway (too few up-to-date
translations).  We can also recommend that people with older or non-GNU
systems install GNU libiconv to gain the advantages of translations - and
other advantages in handling input in multiple character sets, for which
iconv is already used by the Java front end and will be used by the C and
C++ front ends.

OK, sounds like this should be the long term or even medium term plan, and
that it is therefore probably not worth worrying about this issue in the
short term.