Re: Using Unicode quotes (was: Re: Ada files now checked in)

<<For English, things still look prettier (given a UTF-8 terminal, e.g.
recentish xterm with appropriate options and fonts) if Unicode quotes are
used.  Since things need to produce ASCII double quotes when not in a
UTF-8 LC_CTYPE, but Unicode quotes where available, and since knowledge of
quotes should not be hardcoded everywhere, this suggests adding printf
modifiers to handle quoting to GCC's extensible printf reimplementation.
The common case of quoting is simply `%s', but the C++ front end also
quotes some longer strings with multiple conversions.  Perhaps the flags
should be ` for an open quote to appear before the converted output and '
for a close quote to appear afterwards; the individual left and right
quotes would be translated once in each .po file, and there would be
special-case handling for when no message catalog is being used to produce
Unicode or ASCII quotes according to the value of LC_CTYPE.

The world is not close enough to Unicode and UTF-8 yet for this to make
practical sense. In practice such a policy will simply lead to even more
junk, since most people will just display the raw output of the compiler
in standard ASCII.

If you tell me that this is definitely false, and that the correct translation
will occur with the current version of GCC on all possible targets and
environments, then I agree that this may make sense, but I would need to
be convinced that this is the case :-)