Re: Ada files now checked in

dewar@gnat.com writes:

> As to whether it is possible to bootstrap the checked in GNAT sources
> using the currently packaged Debian version of GNAT, I don't know if
> anyone has ever tried that, we certainly have not.

I'm running Debian, and I've managed to built the current CVS version
on x86 (modulo the problems reported by Laurent Guerby).

In the past, I got the impression that the problems of the non-ACT
GNAT versions (and even the ACT GNAT version when compiled with the
default threading implementation, BTW) were in areas such as exception
traceback, tasking, and debugging support (especially together with
tasking).  The GNAT frontend does not need these facilities, of
course.

I find it a bit hard to believe that mere packaging errors regularly
introduces subtle code generation problems, so that you must not trust
a compiler which has not been built with a binary supplied supplied by
ACT.  (More severe problems would already have been noted.)