This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Ada files now checked in
- To: dewar at gnat dot com
- Subject: Re: Ada files now checked in
- From: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 10:49:43 -0700
- Cc: bosch at gnat dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu
- References: <20011006165603.B68CEF28AE@nile.gnat.com>
On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 12:56:03PM -0400, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
> <<Yes, I noticed that. I am fairly confident they could be rewritten
> using regular expressions, in say Perl. Perhaps we could stop there,
> if you're okay requiring Perl (this is already the case for people
> wishing to generate manpages). Or, translating a short Perl program
> into C is not *that* hard.
> Well our policy is not to use perl for anything at all, so this is
> definitely not something we would maintain.
> On the other hand if we
> have reasonably documented, reasonably maintain C versions, then we
> could just get rid of the Ada versions if this really would help things.
> (the reason we prefer not to use perl, is that we have found it very
> hard to maintain).
> we here = ACT, and the point is that it is cleaner and reduces work
> if ACT is using a more similar build approach internally.
Let's see if we can't get the in-Ada versions built safely during the
bootstrap, first. If not, I'm willing to contribute C versions, time