Re: Ada files now checked in

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 01:39:43PM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Or I can ignore Ada until the system compiler becomes one that
> understands it.  This probably won't happen until 2003 or so.  I
> guarantee you this is the choice most people will make.
> I should point out that the distribution maintainers may choose to
> continue off-loading Ada into a separate package, if they have the
> choice between that and jumping through the above-mentioned hoops to
> build the C compiler.  Thus you may be *permanently* stuck with the
> dual driver situation, and therefore with a dramatically reduced
> potential user base, if you refuse to give us a transition plan away
> from it.

FWIW, Debian has pretty much decided to do that.  Requiring an Ada
compiler for every bootstrap of the C compiler would introduce a lot of
complexity, especially given the number of our platforms on which Ada
isn't available - Linux/Alpha in particular seems to be problematic.

Is there any reason that the gcc driver from a 3.1 install which did
not include --enable-languages=ada should be unable to drive gnat1,