This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Ada files now checked in
- To: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- Subject: Re: Ada files now checked in
- From: Geert Bosch <bosch at gnat dot com>
- Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:17:41 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Zack Weinberg wrote:
You are assuming that the GCC driver with Ada support can handle C,
which is not necessarily the case. As it happens, the one on my
system does include a cc1 - but it's 2.8.1-based, and therefore does
not work with glibc 2.2.x, so it might as well not exist.
So, you're saying that GCC can be bootstrapped with about any compiler,
but not with a somewhat older version of itself?
Turn it around: The changes I made to ada/Makefile.in are
straightforward and obvious, and they make the build work out-of-box
for a large category of users that would otherwise have to go to
considerable extra trouble. Why do you object so strenuously?
I don't object strenuously, but I have never ran into problems starting
out with GCC 2.8.1 and I have build GNAT on dozens of different platforms.
Anyway, I don't feel strongly at all about this issue, but I'd like
to try it out first and see how it works for me before commenting on
it any more.