Re: Ada files now checked in

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 04:55:14PM -0400, Geert Bosch wrote:

> Robert and I suggested a fourth version:
>   Build GNAT using the newly generated GCC driver, requiring only access
>   to the gnat1/gnatbind executables.

This is what I was talking about when I said

>> I can jump through extensive hoops to construct a private bootstrap
>> compiler which speaks both C and Ada and use that.

It requires you to perform a partial build, install the results, drop
binaries into the installation tree, and repeat; and it does not
accomplish the goal, which is to test construction of the complete
tree, _including_ Ada, with the vendor-provided tools.

> I must say that I do not understand the issue. Either you have a
> GCC version with an Ada front end, or you don't.
>
> In the first case, you set the CC environment to your GCC driver
> with Ada support (if configure cannot figure this out).

You are assuming that the GCC driver with Ada support can handle C,
which is not necessarily the case.  As it happens, the one on my
system does include a cc1 - but it's 2.8.1-based, and therefore does
not work with glibc 2.2.x, so it might as well not exist.

Turn it around: The changes I made to ada/Makefile.in are
straightforward and obvious, and they make the build work out-of-box
for a large category of users that would otherwise have to go to
considerable extra trouble.  Why do you object so strenuously?

zw