This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Ada files now checked in
- To: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- Subject: Re: Ada files now checked in
- From: Geert Bosch <bosch at gnat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:20:30 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Zack Weinberg wrote:
Oh, I see now. You're coming at this from the perspective that manual
intervention in the middle of the build (yes, it could be automated)
is acceptable. I'm taking the position that we want "make bootstrap"
from the top level to Just Work provided appropriate tools are
available in the user's PATH. This is what users of the public tree
expect, and what will be required if you want Ada to be included in
the normal testing cycle for language-independent changes. Given the
large number of bugs that seem to have test cases only in Ada, I think
that is a desirable goal.
Agreed, as soon as dust settles down a bit this would be something to
improve. Fortunately, GCC 3.1 is still a bit away, so we have time to
Also note, that we probably could generate binder files (the ones that
call all initialization procedures in the right order etc.) and provide
these as part of full releases, so just the "gnat1" executable is needed.