Re: Ada files now checked in

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Zack Weinberg wrote:
  Oh, I see now.  You're coming at this from the perspective that manual
  intervention in the middle of the build (yes, it could be automated)
  is acceptable.  I'm taking the position that we want "make bootstrap"
  from the top level to Just Work provided appropriate tools are
  available in the user's PATH.  This is what users of the public tree
  expect, and what will be required if you want Ada to be included in
  the normal testing cycle for language-independent changes.  Given the
  large number of bugs that seem to have test cases only in Ada, I think
  that is a desirable goal.

Agreed, as soon as dust settles down a bit this would be something to
improve. Fortunately, GCC 3.1 is still a bit away, so we have time to
do this.

Also note, that we probably could generate binder files (the ones that
call all initialization procedures in the right order etc.) and provide
these as part of full releases, so just the "gnat1" executable is needed.

  -Geert