Re: Ada files now checked in

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 12:29:54PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> True, but the way you do it is build everything but Ada, install it
> where you do have privileges (aftr all, if you can't put it anywhere,
> why are you building it?), then put gnat1 and gnatbind there, build a
> new driver, and continue.
>
> Yes, this is not trivial, but it also isn't that hard.

Oh, I see now.  You're coming at this from the perspective that manual
intervention in the middle of the build (yes, it could be automated)
is acceptable.  I'm taking the position that we want "make bootstrap"
from the top level to Just Work provided appropriate tools are
available in the user's PATH.  This is what users of the public tree
expect, and what will be required if you want Ada to be included in
the normal testing cycle for language-independent changes.  Given the
large number of bugs that seem to have test cases only in Ada, I think
that is a desirable goal.

zw