Re: sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 02:17:43PM +0300, Alex Zhukov wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I didnt see any reports of succesful build of the native gcc-3.0.1 for host
> and target=sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8
> 64bit compiler. So just in case someone is interested in already built
> binaries that can generate 64bit solaris2.8 code, I "proudly" :) report - I
> DID IT (after few days of struggle).
>
> Please feel free to flame me if it actually was an easy busy and you think i
> was just too lazy to look at webpage http://whatever.org

Thanks for the information, but the use of GCC 3.0.x for a 64-bit sparc
compiler is not recommended.  I removed the entry for
sparcv9-sun-solaris2.7 (64 bit) from the GCC 3.0 build status list at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html.

Rainer Orth added the following to the GCC 3.0 installation instructions
(doc/install.texi) last week:

  Starting with Solaris 7, the operating system is capable of executing
  64-bit SPARC V9 binaries.  GCC 3.0 doesn't properly support this yet.
  Although some patches or recipes to enable this support have been posted
  to various newsgroups and mailing lists, we recommend against using
  them, since the compiler may either crash or, worse, silently generate
  bad code.  If you really need this capability now, you might try a CVS
  version of GCC 3.1, which will fully support this.  If all you want is
  code tuned for the UltraSPARC CPU, you should try the
  @option{-mtune=ultrasparc} option instead, which should be safe from
  those bugs and produce code that, unlike full 64-bit code, can still run
  on non-UltraSPARC machines.

Janis