How to install GCC on SUN SPARC with Sun OS 5.8

Hi

I downloaded gcc from one of the mirror sites.
(Following directoty structure I see after download :-> gcc-++, gcc-core, gcc-java, gcc-objc, gcc-3.0.1, gcc-g77, gcc-testsite)
I am interested to intsall C++ compiler and debugger out of GCC.

After download, inorder to install, I visited gcc.gnu.org/install site noted that there r 5 steps involved in this process:
1. Downloading the source 2. Configuration 3. Building 4. Testing (opt) 5. Final Install.

I pressume, I completed step 1, as I downloaded required gcc source (as mentioned above).

I could not understand procedure given in Step 2. Configuration.

For example following steps r not clear,

%srcdir/configure [options] [target]

* Target must be specified as  --target=target  (what this means?. How to do this?)

I appreciate any help in this regard.

Best Regards
Tej

K Tejeswara Rao
Manufacturing Vertical
Wipro Technologies
Tower 5, 1st Floor, A-Wing
72, Keonics Electronics City 2, Hosur Main Road,
Bangalore-561 229, India.
Tel: 91-80-8520416, 8520419,8520408,8520425  Ext: 5109
Fax: 091-080-8520478
E-mail: tejeswara.rao@wipro.com
www.wipro.com
The World's First SEI CMM Level 5 Software Services Company
Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Wipro and/or its Customers and
is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this
information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please
notify us immediately at mailto:mailadmin@wipro.com and delete this mail
from your records.