Re: Ada files now checked in

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 03:44:36PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:

>     Yes, the packaged gnat is 2.8.1-based.  I would like to be able to
>     build starting from nothing but what is packaged, if at all possible.
>
> It's really not, unfortunately, since the GNAT sources are free to use
> features added to the compiler in the last version.

Why do you have this policy?  It seems liable to cause nothing but
trouble.  I'm even a bit surprised it should be necessary given that
there don't seem to be much in the way of language extensions in GNAT;
I would think you could write conforming Ada95 and have no trouble.
Or is the issue bugs in earlier revisions?

>     (Am I correct in thinking that -pedantic, -Wtraditional, and
>     -Wno-long-long are simply ignored by the current Ada front end?)
>
> Correct.  In fact, all -W is ignored.

... and there's a host of -gnatfoo options which largely duplicate
existing -f and -W options.  Ick.

However, that makes *that* particular problem trivial to solve; since
they will be ignored anyway, simply leave $(WARN_CFLAGS) out of
$(ALL_ADAFLAGS).  Well, it's a bit more complicated due to the maze of
variables in ada/Makefile.in.

zw