Re: Ada files now checked in

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Laurent Guerby wrote:

> +===========================GNAT BUG DETECTED==============================+
> | 5.00w (20010924) (i686-pc-linux-gnu) GCC error:                          |
> | Internal compiler error in set_mem_alias_set, at emit-rtl.c:1722         |
> | Error detected at a-ngcefu.adb:601:52 [a-nllcef.ads:21:1]                |
> | Please submit bug report by email to report@gnat.com.                    |
> | Use a subject line meaningful to you and us to track the bug.            |
> | (include your customer number #nnn in the subject line).                 |
> | Include the entire contents of this bug box in the report.               |
> | Include the exact gcc or gnatmake command that you entered.              |
> | Also include sources listed below in gnatchop format                     |
> | (concatenated together with no headers between files).                   |
> | (use plain ASCII or MIME attachment, or FTP to your customer directory). |
> | See README.GNATPRO for full info on procedure for submitting bugs.       |
> +==========================================================================+

As previously discussed (e.g.,
<URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-05/msg01358.html>), Ada should act
like a part of standard GCC and bug reports should be directed to the
public GCC GNATS database, not to a company internal system.  I have
therefore added a GNATS category "ada" to the GCC GNATS database (on the
assumption that, at least initially, there is no need for a finer
classification of Ada-related bug reports into front end / library / tools
/ ..., but that Ada does merit its own category).  If bug reports in this
category should go to report@gnat.com, *in addition* to the public GCC
database and mailing lists, then GNATS can be set up to send them there
(similarly to how Java bug reports go to java-prs as well as gcc-bugs and
gcc-prs) - as long as that address doesn't have an autoresponder set up in
a way that would confuse GNATS or cause mail loops.

I will attend to updating gccbug.in and gnats.html for the new category,
but one of the Ada maintainers should deal with making that front end give
bug reporting instructions more appropriate to a free software project
developed in a bazaar fashion (as GCC is, whether or not you expect much
public contribution to the Ada parts of GCC) than the above instructions
for customers with support contracts.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk