Re: new __builtin_choose_type (patch)

On Tuesday, October 2, 2001, at 12:02 PM, dewar@gnat.com wrote:

> This seems a bit of a kludgy feature to me. Do we really need to add
> overloading to C for this purpose? If so, surely it should be done
> in a manner that is coherent with the rest of the language.

Well, the Altivec extensions require overloading, but this doesn't
necessarily have to be visible to everybody else.  Motorola's approach
(also used by Apple, at least for now) was to define a hook for
target-dependent builtins, so the overloading stuff could be hidden
down in rs6000.c.  OTOH, overloading is in C99 already for the math lib
functions, isn't it?  Personally I don't think overloading belongs in C,
but if we're stuck with it anyway, maybe a general mechanism is a good
idea.