Re: High memory consumption compiling syntax.c

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 06:54:18PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:00:51 -0700
> > From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
> >
> > You can try -fmem-report (in 3.x).  This will dump statistics on the
> > data remaining allocated in the garbage collection arena at the end of
> > compilation.  However, from what you report below, it rather sounds
> > like the runaway memory allocation is not through the garbage
> > collector, so this may not help.
>
> I'm attaching the output of -fmem-report below anyway, in the hope
> that it will give some clue.

Unfortunately, this bit

> Log    Allocated        Used    Overhead
> Total       5376k        631k         29k

indicates that your problem is not permanent allocations, and
therefore -fmem-report will not tell us what the real problem is.
(The reason "allocated" is so much higher than "used" is that the GC
run to collect the statistics freed up a ton of memory, which is being
kept around in case we need it again - if it survived as free pool
until another GC run, it would be returned to the operating system.)

If you could send me the preprocessed source of the complete file
(scan_sexps_forward is not necessarily the problem), I will look a bit
deeper.

zw