fortran binary reads

Dear GNU Support:
I have a Fortran applications problem that may have an easy solution.
The fortran compiler that came with my Suse Linux applications software

GNU Fortran 0.5.25 20010315 (release)

has problems reading standard binary data files.  These files are the
standard single precision --- 8 byte word length --- climatological
data sets used by atmospheric and ocean scientists.

I think the problem may be related to the fortran compiler assuming they
are "c" language binary files, which I am told are different from their
fortran counterparts.

Please advise if you know of a solution.  Thank you very much for your
kind consideration,

Sincerely, David E. Dietrich
dietrich@nmia.com