Re: Help : File does not end with newline

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 08:43:29PM -0400, dewar@gnat.com wrote:
><<However, I can't remember seeing a Windows-based editor that did this, or
>a Windows-based textfile that had that 0x1A.
>>>

>Well there are some, and another test is that in my experience *all* windows
>editors except those hailing from Unix sources, can always at least
>*recognize* the 1A. Yes, the 1A hailed from CPM, but was incorporated
>into DOS (which remember was derived from CPM), and this convention has
>continued in at least half baked form in the DOS/Windows environment
>ever since.

FWIW, we eliminated the recognition of CTRL-Z as EOF from cygwin a while
ago.  If this problem is actually related to that, this is the first
time I've heard about a problem since then.

Cygwin is a little strange, however, in that it tries to straddle the worlds
of Windows and UNIX.  The special behavior of CTRL-Z was actually causing
other problems with ported UNIX tools, even in text mode.  That is why we
decided to eliminate it.

cgf