Re: Unreviewed patch (was: another bootstrap failure onsparc-sun-solaris28 in cp/xref.o)

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 05:58:07PM -0400, John Wehle wrote:
> which leads me to believe that problem compiling linking.m isn't
> due to debug information.

Yes.

> UNALIGNED_DOUBLE_INT_ASM_OP is also
> used by assemble_integer in addition to dw2_asm_output_* so it is
> used anytime an unaligned double int is assembled.

Yes, and assemble_integer knows how to deal with
UNALIGNED_DOUBLE_INT_ASM_OP being null.

> I believed merely changing UNALIGNED_DOUBLE_INT_ASM_OP resulted
> in the bootstrap failing at a different spot, however I don't
> have the details at head.

Would you please find out?

> Perhaps assemble_integer can be improved to provide prettier output?
> It doesn't seem desirable to have different routines to do the same
> thing.

In general, it is not possible to replace dw2_asm_output_* with
assemble_integer, because we want to do things like emit

	.uaword	.L0 - .L1

which you cannot do in assemble_integer.  In fact, only one of the
N uses of unaligned_integer_asm_op in dwarf2asm.c is an integer
constant that could be broken down into pieces to emit.

r~