Re: Loop unroll fixes

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, mike stump wrote:

> I think that all changes to gcc should come with at least one testcase
> that actually demonstrates why the change was a good idea.  If the

In the case of some code cleanup and reorganisation patches (that don't
change user-visible behaviour), of course, there aren't appropriate
testcases (apart possibly from a reduction of the number of warnings
during bootstrap, or an improvement in compile-time performance).

> An non-example would be 112 thousand lines of customer proprietary
> code which changes any time almost anything is played with.  Been
> there, done that, not that hard, just time consuming to trim the
> testcase and sanitize it.

A harder case might be where the bug was shown up by a small testcase from
a proprietary testsuite (see e.g.
<URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1998-11/msg00257.html>).  Do we
have any legal guidance on what is and is not safe to do in such cases?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk