Re: Proposal

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 10:20:00AM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> I'd also point out that very few people have access to the standard;
> yes, ANSI sells copies for not-totally-outrageous sums, but many don't
> know that and the cost may still be too high.

Most programmers don't know the standard and are not interested in knowing
the standard, because their (present) job is to solve a problem for one or
two different systems, not for every theoretically possible system,
and the standard supports nearly every stuff which has more than 4 pins ;-)

Programming portable, especially with C, takes much more time than
programming for a special system, and the programmers don't have this time.
And some kins of problems are not supported by C, so you must write it in a
sub assembler language way.

> Counterproposal: Require people who propose extensions to document
> their semantics in detail, to the point where a formal proposal
> _could_ be made to the standard committee, but don't make them get
> beaten up by comp.std.c.  Debate the extension here and in the user
> community.  If there's agreement that it would be useful, it would not
> clash with present or future standard behavior, and it would not cause
> unfortunate consequences down the road, then we implement it.
>
> For all extensions, present or proposed, we either write up a formal
> proposal to the standard committee, or we deprecate the extension.
> The proposals are stored on the website.  Should we ever be in the
> position of having representation on the committee (which I believe we
> currently do not) we can then submit them.

I'm looking for some webspace for feature proposals, performance issues and warning
issues.

And someone who translates my "pseudo English" into "real English".

  - 1 Mbyte for HTML
  - 5 Mbyte for tables
  - a link to this page

--