byte data size question

It seems that versions of GCC past 2.7.0 translate the type 'bool' to a
single byte if the target is a CISC architecture, and to four bytes if the
target is RISC (sparc).  I can't find any switches that control this
behavior.

I am looking for workarounds that will allow me to communicate with
CISC-based processed so that the data communication does not get corrupted
by this misalignment.  The structure definition is common between the
CISC-platform and RISC platform code.

Certainly this is not a new problem.  did I miss some functional option to
the compiler, or is there another workaround that others have published that
I can use that will not require me to rebuilt the existing CISC-based
platforms or use a separate structure definition in the RISC code?
-b
Barry J. Andreasen
Software Consultant		@Octave Communications
Point Technologies, Inc.	55 Northwest Blvd.
8 Silversmith Way		      Nashua, N.H. 03063
N. Billerica, Ma. 01862		office: +1.603.459.5434
                              fax:    +1.603.459.5325