Re: Can gcj cross compile C / C++ programs into java byte code?

<<Java bytecode doesn't have pointers and other features that are
assumed by C and C++.  Compiling C or C++ to the JVM would require a
fair amount of runtime work as well (for example, Java classes to
represent C pointers).

To be clear, it is definitely technically possible to compile C or C++ into
JBC (as we know from our work on JGNAT which does this for Ada 95), but indeed
it is a large effort -- probably quite a bit of the thinking behind JGNAT
would be transferrable, since many of the problems (representing pointers
to variables, pointers to procedures, involve similar considerations).