This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Can gcj cross compile C / C++ programs into java byte code?
- To: johan dot walles at appeal dot se, tromey at redhat dot com
- Subject: Re: Can gcj cross compile C / C++ programs into java byte code?
- From: dewar at gnat dot com
- Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:25:14 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
<<Java bytecode doesn't have pointers and other features that are
assumed by C and C++. Compiling C or C++ to the JVM would require a
fair amount of runtime work as well (for example, Java classes to
represent C pointers).
To be clear, it is definitely technically possible to compile C or C++ into
JBC (as we know from our work on JGNAT which does this for Ada 95), but indeed
it is a large effort -- probably quite a bit of the thinking behind JGNAT
would be transferrable, since many of the problems (representing pointers
to variables, pointers to procedures, involve similar considerations).