Re: linux signals

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 01:33:19PM +0530, Jagadish Chandra Prasad wrote:
>     I have problem while using linux signals.some signals are lost.
>     I have a signal handler for SIGCHLD.
>     my signal handler code is.,

This is actually off topic for this list, which is about the
development of GCC itself, not about basic Unix questions.

> i have some 10 child processes running. i am issuing SIGTERM  on all child
> processes at a time using killall.
> but handler is not called for 10 times.
> some child processes are becoming  <defunct>.

That is quite normal. You should wait()/wait3()/wait4() on all childs
because you can get a single signal for multiple childs.

> i am using glibc 2.1.3 and kernel 2.2.14
> can someone explain whats happenning.

See "Advanced programming in the UNIX environment" by J. Richard
Stevens. Expensive but excellent.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl