test_installed on cross compilers

Has anyone tried running test_installed on a cross compiler?
I have made modifications which are enough to get it to
invoke the compiler right for everything but when it compiles
testglue.o and can't figure out why it is using the native
compiler for that.

Does anyone have any insight?  How does one even debug
the magic decisions inside dejagnu?