C compiler cannot create executables

Hi everyone,

Sorry, this is for sure a very common problem: I needed the latest (3.1)
gcc because only it has the protocol forward reference bug fixed
(objective-c) and this is a feature I really *need*. So I checked it
from cvs, configured it, made it, installed it. Then I made symbolic
links to the /bin executables in /usr/local/bin and corrected my PATH to
point to those first. Last I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to
$GCC_DIR/lib, as well as LD_RUN_PATH. I don't know if that's all there
is to upgrade to the latest gcc.

Now, this is what my configure script tells me:

checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking wether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

Anyone has a clue ?

thx in advance,

Aurélien