Mips16 question...

Towards the beginning of the year, I pulled down a gcc-cvs snapshot,
and the mips16 support was pretty okay, some bogus code, but all
"assemble-able".  However with the 3.0 release, it seems to be
shooting off all sorts of strange pieces of assembly, opcodes that
are only in mips I/II/III, distinctly not in mips16.  (I can give a
list if it's needed, but I'm guessing this is a known issue)

So, does anyone have a "finger on the pulse" of gcc's support of
mips16?, which compiler CVS/Release #x.x works well, etc.  I looked
through the changelog and have seen quite a bit of activity in mips
by redhat folks lately, but it looked to not be related to mips16.
Anyway, thanks in advance,

Shane Nay.