uchar in <sys/types.h>

Hello

I believe the types.h are part of the compiler rather than lib's etc.

I quote from <sys/types.h>
----------
#ifdef __USE_MISC
/* Old compatibility names for C types.  */
typedef unsigned long int ulong;
typedef unsigned short int ushort;
typedef unsigned int uint;
#endif

I have an application that I am compiling and porting to a new target, i
noticed that
typedef unsigned char uchar;

was not present, could anyone comment on this please?

I see there is the "old compatibility' comment, is there a better
alternative to uchar, ulong, uint abbreviations available?

Regards

JG