This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: New attribute "infrequent"?
- To: Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys dot COM>
- Subject: Re: New attribute "infrequent"?
- From: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:16:36 -0400
- cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
>>>>> Joe Buck writes:
Joe> Originally Fortran had a FREQUENCY statement. While I can't find definite
Joe> confirmation, the widely reported story is that IBM implemented it
Joe> backwards in their Fortran II compiler, and no one noticed for quite some
Joe> time. So it got dropped.
Yes, IBM's Fortran compiler of the time accidentally implemented
the statement with the reverse effect. *No* USER ever reported the
problem. It only was discovered by one of the compiler developers much