How to build a profiled gcc?

When I want to profile gcc, I configure it with '--enable-checking=no'
and compile it with BOOT_CFLAGS='-O2 -g -pg'.

However, this missed a recent issue where a lot of time was spent in
the system routines mapping and unmapping a hunk of memory.

So a question:  How do I build a profiled gcc so that it links with the
profiled libc and other libraries?  If this isn't easy to do by hand,
should this be a configure option?

Brad Lucier