Re: inline-limit: some experimental feedback

--On Tuesday, August 21, 2001 01:22:42 PM +0100 Bernd Schmidt
<bernds@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>>
>> The proper fix really is to improve the inliner.
>
> Is it possible to switch 3.0 back to the rtl inliner for C++?

It's nontrivial (although not impossible), but it would be extremely
risky -- and note that the new inliner does generate better code
for lots of people in lots of cases.

The inliner is getting blamed, but that is not the real problem.  The
real problems with compile-times are coming from excessive memory use
(partly due to inefficiencies in the tree nodes themselves, partly due
to waste in the C++ front-end) and a slow garbage-collector.  I've
confirmed this with data on a variety of different programs.

The slower run-times Gerald is reporting are not something I understand
at this point.