Re: c++/4047: assuming & on overloaded member functions

Hi Phil,

Thank you very much. It does work! But I'm confused,
which one is C++ standard?
server.use(T::foo); or server.use(&T::foo); ?

The first compiles on AIX native c/c++ compiler xlc, as well
as gcc3.0. And I guess it is correct in grammar. Since T::foo is
a pointer to function?

Maybe in gcc2.95.x, T::foo is not a pointer to member function?
------------
Yu Zhang
02/0CW1/4611/BURN
IBM Canada Pacific Development Centre(PDC)
4611 Canada  Way, Burnaby, B.C. Canada V5G 4X3
Phone: (604) 297-3108  Fax:(604)297-3020
E-mail: yuzhang@ca.ibm.com

                    Phil Edwards
                    <pedwards@disaste       To:     Yu Zhang/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA
                    r.jaj.com>              cc:     gcc@gcc.gnu.org
                                            Subject:     Re: c++/4047: assuming & on overloaded member functions
                    08/20/2001 12:40
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    Phil Edwards

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 02:31:38PM -0700, Yu Zhang/CanWest/IBM wrote:
> I've just submitted a bug report c++/4047. I'm wondering if anybody else
> has encountered the same problem before. Is there any quick fix for
2.95.x?
[...]
> when we use an overloaded static member function as
> another function's input argument, g++ report "assuming
> & on overloaded member functions".
[...]
>   void call()
>   {
>     server.use(T::foo);
>   };

What's the problem with just writing

    server.use(&T::foo);

instead?  This is specifically allowed by the C++ standard, and would work
under both versions.

Phil

--
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance