Re: 3.0.1 performance

Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 08:54:24AM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > The current limit /is/ 600, IIRC.  Perhaps the docs did not get updated,
>> or possibly you have outdated docs.  Are you looking at the online manual,
>> or the manual that shipped with 3.0?
>
> Don't think so:
> garloff@pckurt:/raid/egcs/gcc/doc $ cvs status invoke.texi
> File: invoke.texi       Status: Up-to-date
>
>    Working revision:    1.3.2.23
>    Repository revision: 1.3.2.23        /cvs/gcc/egcs/gcc/doc/invoke.texi,v
>    Sticky Tag:          gcc-3_0-branch (branch: 1.3.2)
> [...]
> garloff@pckurt:/raid/egcs/gcc/doc $ grep -A8 inline-limit invoke.texi
> [...]
> @item -finline-limit=@var{n}
> @opindex finline-limit
> By default, gcc limits the size of functions that can be inlined.  This flag
> [...]
> number of pseudo instructions (not counting parameter handling).  The default
> value of @var{n} is 10000.  Increasing this value can result in more inlined code at
> [...]
>
> So the docu seems outdate. Anyway, I'd vote for upping the default based on
> the results posted. 1000 seems like a compromise. I'd personally vote for
> more (say 2500), as the value used to be much higher before (10k or 15k) and
> we do not want to risk too drastic changes between 3.0.0 and 3.0.1,
> do we?
Errr, yes, we want drastically better compile time.
The main reason 600 isn't good enough for some applications is that
our heuristics still aren't good.  Even using the one from integrate.c
does better. I have a patch that uses the one from integrate.c that should only
need 600 insns of inlining, but get alot better performance, at very small
compile time increase.

--Dan

--
"I like to go to art museums and name the untitled paintings...
Boy With Pail...  Kitten On Fire.