Re: updating CVS on soruceware

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:56:36AM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> David> Can CVS be updated to 1.11.x on Sourceware?  The new -C option
> David> to update is very useful.

It /would/ be useful, if it worked.  (And was documented.)

> David>    -C Overwrite locally modified files with clean repository
> David>    copies.
>
> Do you need a new server installed for this to work (I don't know)?

A new server shouldn't be necessary; the logic of "if it's been locally
modified, then just pretend it's not here and request the whole file"
should be entirely client-side.

Unfortunately, in the current version, the client /does/ correctly move
the modified files aside (to their .#* versions), but fails to strip
the '-C' from the list of options... which the client then sends to the
server... which doesn't understand '-C' (and doesn't need to)... and so
the modified files are all now missing.  You have to update a second time,
but without the -C.  Very annoying.  But at least it can be done.

Phil

--
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance