may_trap_p and flag_trapping_math

I don't quite understand the comment in ifcvt.c:

  /* ??? Unfortuantely may_trap_p can't look at flag_trapping_math, due to
     being linked into the genfoo programs.  This is probably a mistake.

I would like to have may_trap_p use flag_trapping_math, I think it would help
in scheduling some code I'm trying to compile.  Can someone explain the comment
and perhaps suggest a workaround (move may_trap_p to another file?  something
less drastic?) so I can start to work on a patch?

Brad Lucier