Re: Fourth Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> [ ... ]
>
> So bundle them all up under the heading
>
>   3. Rearrangements whose effect is a loss of dynamic range in the
>      inputs.
>
> and maybe with a few examples to show what the loss is, and what the
> range is ("a/b/c -> a/b*c potentially loses one bit of exponent range",
> "sin(x) limits the input range to values that have any accuracy left in
> the output" etc).

A little nitpick on a post I otherwise agree with: you're talking about
a loss of _domain_ values, not range. The domain of a function is the
set of legal argument values, the range is the set of possible return
values.

--
Ross Smith <ross.s@ihug.co.nz> The Internet Group, Auckland, New Zealand
"Unix has always lurked provocatively in the background of the operating