This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Third Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Subject: Re: Third Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- From: Stephen L Moshier <moshier at mediaone dot net>
- Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 17:28:57 -0400 (EDT)
- Reply-To: moshier at moshier dot ne dot mediaone dot net
> <<My point is that gcc should feel free to apply transformations that
> do not change results in IEEE arithmetic, even if they
> might change the results in some other arithmetic (old Cray
> arithmetic, say, where x / 2.0 may not have been equivalent to x *
> I am not so sure that's acceptable, especially when we have quite a
> few pseudo-IEEE machines around.
Currently this particular transformation 1.0/2.0 -> 0.5 is
checked for exactness in gcc's idea of the target's arithmetic and
it is further filtered by a machine-dependent function check_float_value.
We do not in general try to be bug compatible with all target
arithmetics, but I'm sure no one would mind if you wanted to put
in the effort to implement that.