This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Third Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- To: dewar at gnat dot com, lucier at math dot purdue dot edu
- Subject: Re: Third Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- From: dewar at gnat dot com
- Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 16:13:24 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, toon at moene dot indiv dot nluug dot nl
<<My point is that gcc should feel free to apply transformations that
do not change results in IEEE arithmetic, even if they
might change the results in some other arithmetic (old Cray
arithmetic, say, where x / 2.0 may not have been equivalent to x * 0.5).
I am not so sure that's acceptable, especially when we have quite a few
pseudo-IEEE machines around.
For sure, if we are talking about transformations that change the results
on a given port, they come under the auspices of this document as to what
are and are not acceptable transformations.